Sunday, September 27, 2009

Connection Through Time


Walking down to the barn to feed the horses and chickens this evening, I was overcome by a deep sense of gratitude. I was smack in the middle of realizing a dream I'd had just about my entire life. I'd spent my weekend working through a bushel of apples- coring, peeling, and dicing the fruit to yield 10 small loaves, and 6 large loaves of Apple Nut Bread, and one spectacular Apple Crisp. The Apple Crisp, and one loaf of bread were left for my husband and I to consume. The rest were wrapped, labeled and stacked in the deep freeze. But apples weren't my only concern even while I was calculating whether there were enough apples left to make apple pie filling AND applesauce. I had also harvested tomatoes, peppers, yellow squash, eggplant, carrots and onions and turned them into a HUGE double batch of pasta sauce. This in turn was packaged, and frozen in preparation for the long months ahead when we had no garden to feed us. Leftover tomatoes were diced, packaged and frozen to add to soups and stews. But there was still produce left in the garden, and I didn't want it to go to waste.

While working in the kitchen, I could feel my mother and grandmother with me. Their presence, and camaraderie unmistakable. Their approval distinct. I was continuing the age-old work of country women. Preparing, and preserving the garden fresh food- food my husband and I had grown ourselves- in order to sustain our family through the cold months ahead. I was worrying about a predicted freeze, wondering how much I could get done in the days ahead, just as they had worked, worried, and calculated. I felt the link between my ancestors and myself... felt unified with women through the centuries.







Our dinner tonight consisted of grilled chicken breasts, the last of the corn fresh picked from the garden, along with tomatoes, sliced and eaten within 15 min. of harvesting. Dessert was that apple crisp, warm from the oven. Even my husband remarked on the meal, saying it just felt so "right"... eating fresh vegies in season. A simple meal packed with nutrition, lovingly prepared by the people who grew the components.


Which brings me full circle to where I was walking down to the barn after dinner. My two mares started whinnying at my approach, while the chickens piled into the coop to roost for the night. Our two Shelties joined the procession, barking, and chasing each other while they helped me throw down the grain, hay, and chicken feed. I had always wanted to live in the country, to be as self-sustaining as possible. I had always wanted to experience how my Grandparents lived, and their parents before them. And though it's hard work... (MAN! is it hard work!) I suddenly realized that I had accomplished this dream. Watching my husband as he split and stacked the 14th load of wood we would use to heat the house, I knew we would still choose this way to live. Working hard yields more than food, and heat. Working hard to provide for our family bestows pride and self satisfaction. It just feels "right". I am grateful for the opportunity to live this dream, and to connect with the generations before me who have, also, lived and worked in harmony with the land.


2 comments:

  1. Meredith, you are so gifted. I didn't want your blop to end. Please keep it up.
    It's wonderful when you hear a person today say,they have achieved their dream. This was so very refreshing too read.
    Thanks,
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how exciting!! I hope you have time between all the planting, picking, cooking, baking, canning, feeding, working, teaching, caring and ENJOYING to write--because this city girl is ready to live vicariously through this blog. I love it already. (no pressure.) ;)

    Welcome to the blogosphere!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete