Monday, October 5, 2009

Happy Fall, Y'all!

We're supposed to get a major freeze tonight.  I suppose we should be happy it didn't snow here, like it did in Bozeman, MT today! 7"!!!

Here, however, the weather was crisp and cool.  The wind died down and we were treated to that traditional Montana blue sky! That's got to be my favorite color. After working, working, working on preparations for preschool tomorrow, I made 3 more large apple nut bread loaves, and 3 more small ones.  Then, I got busy slipping peaches so Bruce could make two batches of his wonderful peach jam! What a treat! I threw the leftover chili rellenos in the oven, and that's when it struck me that I'd better go pick the pumpkins from the garden.

It's too bad our Autumn days are so busy. As soon as I step outside, I just want to savor the season... breathe in the fresh, cold air- admire the turning leaves, the gold of the dying ferns, the browns of the field grasses.       The horses have their Winter coats already, and are so soft, warm and furry- a delight to hug and stroke. Deer are harder to see now because they've changed color, blending into the grey background. I make my way to the garden listening to the rustling of the dried corn stalks.
The pumpkins are nestled at the foot of the corn, their stems are spiny, and prick my fingers as I pluck them from their vines.
Carrying them back to the front porch, I hear the plaintive honking of geese in the distance.

As much as I'd like to stay out here, I have work to do inside. Every day I vow to finish up early, and spend some time enjoying October- my favorite month of them all.

                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment