Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Trip to Missoula

From our house to the Costco in Missoula is about a 2 hr. 15 min. drive. We try to get to Missoula every 4-6 wks. because living in Thompson Falls is rather expensive. (i.e. Replacement blades for my razor costs $11.95 in Thompson, but only $6.78 at the Missoula Walmart. Everything is like that!) Because of this, we wait to buy most things until we can get to "the big city" and because of that, every trip is definitely an event, if not an ordeal.

We try to leave the house around 9 am. All the animals have to be fed, watered, pottied, etc. doors are locked, lists grabbed. Once on the road, Bruce settles in to listen to his XM radio, while I generally thumb through catalogs to pass the time. One of the highlights of spending the day in Missoula is determining where to eat. Bruce and I NEVER go out to eat in Thompson Falls. In fact, we consider buying a quickie frozen pizza, or a prepared frozen meal as "eating out" because I don't have to cook from scratch! So, eating in a restaurant is a VERY big deal.  Sometimes we hit Arby's or Wendy's (and yes... we consider them restaurants! *L*) but sometimes we splurge, and go to Pizza Hut! or one of my favorites, Perkins, or Johnny Carino's! Mmmm! What a treat!  We have to time the meal, so it covers both lunch AND dinner. There is no time or money to waste, although, we invariably stop at McDonald's on the way home to buy a large coffee for the trip.




               Shopping is tiring, exhilarating, necessary and frivolous! We have set stores we MUST hit! Pet Smart to buy food for the cats and dogs, Walmart to buy groceries that we do not buy in bulk, Michaels for craft supplies for the preschoolers, Lowes so we can make repairs, and of course, Costco! BUT while we're at these stores, we have to walk directly past all that wonderful STUFF on sale!!! All the HOLIDAY stuff! the books, the treats, the "extras!"  The sheer gluttony of all that merchandise!!! (I know I did not NEED those three jack-o-lantern stands... but they were 75% off!!!)  It's so easy to get carried away! and I"m constantly re-assessing.... Do I NEED this????  Can I walk away and live?


It doesn't take too long, however, before the worrying steps in. There is SO much we DO have to buy... We're constantly checking with each other... "Do we have to get paper towels this time? or can we hang on until the next Missoula trip?"  "Do you remember how much dish soap we have?"  "Will we be back before so and so's birthday? We'd better shop for them now!" As the purchases pile up, the "fun" items make their way back on the shelves. I start adding up the amounts in my head, justifying bargains- knowing I HAVE to buy all this... either a little bit at a time in Thompson at inflated prices, or all at once in Missoula. The amount of money spent begins to panic me.

There's another problem with these marathon trips to Missoula. We're always together! so, there's no popping back to pick up a gift someone has pointed out they'd like for Christmas.  Its just too far to drive back, and so we've developed elaborate schemes to purchase presents right under loved ones' noses!  Yesterday, I purchased a $5 doormat because it was big enough to hide several great stocking stuffers for Bruce. And I deliberately turned away when I saw my husband tucking a paperback I'd talked about under several items in the cart.

It's always late when we turn the car towards home. We're usually driving in the dark, a long, cold 2 1/4 hrs. where we have to be hyper-vigilant for wildlife crossing the road, while exhausted from the walking, shopping, and decision-making.   Our long driveway looks mighty good at 9pm, 10 pm, or sometimes later. I jump out, and open the gates for Bruce to drive through. While he puts the car in the garage, I feed the horses and the chickens who let me know, in no uncertain terms that they are HUNGRY! and I am LATE! Once the Shelties are let out, and fed, the cats petted and fed, the parrots talked to and calmed down, we begin to unload the car.

Groceries must be packed into the refrigerator and freezer, Dry goods are stored in the pantry. I get my second wind about now. I LOVE the feeling of a stocked pantry. All those cans of tomato sauce, the bags of brown sugar, the pounds of flour.... all that potential! It is exciting and comforting. It makes me feel very secure.


THEN, I get to examine all the other purchases... the razors! YAY! I saved so much money! the vitamins! I'm so glad I remembered we were getting low!  a treat for the dogs! they are so happy! I spirit away Bruce's stocking stuffers, and smile to myself! I'm getting a start on Christmas. Every little bit is such a relief. Our trip to Missoula is over- we won't be back for quite a while. I add a few things to the list on the refrigerator... things we DID forget this time around. We'll make do without them until then. We always manage.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post! This isn't nearly on the same scale since Grand Forks (ND) has pretty good shopping, but when my husband and I lived there, maybe once every two months we would drive the 70 miles to Fargo for a day out. We would usually go to Olive Garden to eat since Grand Forks didn't have Olive Garden. I'm originally from New Jersey so I was really missing Italian food while in Grand Forks!

    Now we live in the suburbs of a very big city (Houston). I must say, I do envy you that gorgeous scenery!

    ReplyDelete