Saturday, February 26, 2011

Held Hostage

Bruce and I were enjoying the warmth from the fireplace, but agreed there was work to be done while there was still daylight. Wood needed to be brought up from the barn, and Bruce wanted to shovel the sidewalk, and back patio. I got out of the chair, and that's when I saw him!  Raggie!
Walking slowly through the pasture, to check to see if SOMEONE had "ACCIDENTALLY" dropped a flake or two of hay by the barn!
I told him to go ahead and check. Although I wasn't the one who'd fed the horses that morning, I was pretty sure BRUCE was also leaving a bit of extra hay where a hungry Bull Elk might find it.
Raggie acknowledged that, and moved on.
And lo and behold! there WAS hay!  I happily snapped photos while Raggie ate.  And ate, and ate.  After awhile, Bruce announced he was going down to the barn to get some wood, but I quickly squelched THAT!  Raggie was still down there... eating... contentedly.  Bruce said he'd wait.
After awhile more, Bruce announced he was going to go out and shovel.  I was horrified! and stopped him quickly.  Raggie was STILL out there- eating- slowly.  It wouldn't be right to disturb our guest! and perhaps scare him away!  Bruce waited... and waited.
Finally, Raggie took a sip from the horse trough, stepped over the fence, and moved towards the wood. 
We watched him meander away... 
We never know if this will be our last sight of him, or if he'll drop by for another easy meal. 
Even for an adult Bull Elk, strong, proud, in the prime of his life...  the World is a mighty big place
and always unpredictable.

2 comments:

  1. You are especially privileged to get to be a part of his world and I know you appreciate that! It is
    such a delight to be able to live among God's creatures... MT is a wondrous, unique place! It makes you happy every day! C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been told that people are missing Raggie in the bottom photo. Look hard! He's there! Giving perspective to the vastness of the world in which he lives.

    ReplyDelete