Thursday, July 17, 2014

Moose!

So- the title pretty much gives it all away- but let me tell you how it happened.

We'd been keeping the boat moored in Deep Creek Bay.  That way, we could just walk down to the river, climb into the boat and go for a ride!  It was especially necessary because Bruce's truck was being repaired, so we didn't have a vehicle to put the boat in and take it out, as we usually do. (A VERY good friend picked up the boat, and dropped it in the river for us, as it was an unbearably hot week, and the only way to beat the heat was to be on the water!)  But now, Bruce was heading out to a week of meetings, and we needed to get the boat out of the bay and home before he left.
Bruce borrowed a truck (thank you, Jim!) hooked up the trailer and headed down the road. That left me with the "job" of walking down to the bay, and taking the boat to the landing to meet Bruce! I definitely got the best part of the plan. 
It was evening, probably 8 pm, and the sun was hanging low in the smokey sky.  I was toodling along when I thought I saw something on the bank.  A stump?
 NO! It moved!
I slowed way down, and finally cut the engine and drifted towards the Bull moose.  He wasn't in the least bit disturbed.  He didn't even look at me.
 
He just kept munching away at aquatic grasses while I snapped photos.
 
In fact, it wasn't until I started the engine, and started pulling slowly away that he even deigned to look up.
 
Poor Bruce couldn't believe he'd missed seeing a moose- especially a BIG Bull! I'm a little worried he's going to make ME drive the truck and trailer next time! ;)
That's part of what I love about Montana. There's the possibility of an adventure around every corner.

2 comments:

  1. There is always some form of wildlife in your area. I remember the mountain goats the boys and I saw as we rounded a curve on the highway on our way to your place, where the rock face is. :). Near Plains, isn't it? And the bear Bruce brought by the house on his way to release it. The coyotes howling at night, the turkey vultures, the heron, the deer in all the fields and post office parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are probably the best moose pics I've ever seen. He is so handsome!

    ReplyDelete