Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Early Summer


Even being retired over a year, EARLY Summer STILL has a unique feel to it. There’s a sense of freedom- of long, lazy days ahead, and time.... as if there IS going to be enough time- a promise and expectation. 



This year is no exception. The rain has finally stopped, and the days have warmed to perfection! 72 degrees! Not too hot- not too cold. Goldilocks weather. And Wind’s Echo is a sublime place to be.
(Yes... we named our house. It’s a tradition dating back to my childhood- worthy of it’s own blogpost at a later date).



This morning, after Bruce left for work, I sat on the back deck with my cup of coffee and my book, but I didn’t read. Instead, I sat still and felt. The soft breeze was lightly perfumed from the blossoming crabapple and lilacs. Just under the loud, burbling of our fountain I could hear the wind chimes ringing lazily, sporadically and the bustling, frantic buzz of the hummingbird’s assault on the feeder. Butterflies floated the air, and hovered around brilliantly colored flowers planted in terra cotta pots. And the color GREEN.... how can there possibly BE so many shades of green? Light and dark, vibrant and pulsing.


Without close neighbors, or busy road, its easy to succumb to the tranquility, to feel the enormity of Earth’s power- Life living without the impediments of man. I watch and experience. A doe, heavy with the impending birth of her fawn, steps out of the trees to graze with my mares. A coyote trots through the pasture en route to his den. A flash of yellow marks the Tanager’s flight from the Oak to  Maple. These are gifts I’ve earned for being quiet and watchful.




I know there are reasons people live in urban areas- good, convenient healthcare, airports, grocery stores, retail stores, and I will admit there are nights when we are tired, and complain about the 2 1/2 hr. drive home from Missoula where we buy groceries and run errands- but even those times aren’t incentive enough to leave our rural paradise. There is no where else I’d rather live.

1 comment:

  1. It's relaxing there and comfortable and always beautiful scenery !!

    ReplyDelete