Monday, January 11, 2010

Ice fishing

Bruce came home with a story about seeing a man in town who laid down $600 for an electric augur used for ice fishing.  We marveled at someone having that kind of money to spend, and wondered if they REALLY LOVED the sport, or just had money to burn. 

One thing led to another, and Bruce and Cade decided they wanted to go ice fishing again.  (The last time was years ago!)  They assured me the ice was a good 8 inches thick. Bruce found the old manual augur in the garage, and the three of us headed down to the point.  Obviously, I had to go, too. SOMEONE had to stay up on shore with a cell phone pre-programmed to dial 9-1-1.

The only way down to the ice (or water, for that matter) is to rappel down the steep slope using a thick rope. During the summer, we get good at this, and pop up and down the incline like mountain goats :) We even carry tubes, towels, skiis, etc. but I digress.

It was about 5 degrees that day. We were grateful it wasn't below zero as had been predicted.


Bruce took the first turn. I stood up on the point, and let out tiny screams, and gasps at each crack, and groan the ice made. He worked and worked and worked.... and finally made a very tiny pile of ice shavings. The hole was, maybe a 1/2 inch deep. Cade calculated it would take them 8 hours to break through to water if auguring continued at this pace.
 
Cade took turns, too.  It didn't seem like they were making much progress and eventually I left my post to entertain myself by taking photos of the Shelties. Don't worry... I was definitely within earshot! I'd even had time to formulate a plan to save them in the event my over active imagination proved psychic.

Piper found something gross, and I had to chase him down to take it away. YUK!

Selkie got tired of being with me and made her way down to the ice where she was warmly welcomed.




She wanted to know what was taking so long. After all... there were squirrels, and birds that needed chasing, and deer trails that should be sniffed out.  And since the men were not making much headway with their fishing hole, they reluctantly agreed.

They made their way off the ice, up the embankment, and discussed how intelligent that man in the store had been.... plunking down ONLY $600 for an augur that would really work!

3 comments:

  1. That would have scared me to death! If they had been able to make the hole, would the fish be scarce by then from all the commotion? (I know NOTHING about ice fishing! Ha!)

    ReplyDelete