Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cade turns 21!!!

How does that happen?  How could my YOUNGEST child turn 21???  Doesn't he realize I'm sticking at 29?
Cade was able to tear home on Thurs. afternoon.  He had to be back at school by Sat. afternoon, so we didn't have much time.
Friday morning, I made cinnamon twists for breakfast.  We devoured almost two huge trays of the things! (this is all that were left!) So, Bruce and Cade decided they needed to get some exercise, and work off some of the calories.  They headed off to the golf course, while I wrapped presents, and started making Cade's birthday dinner.  (I think I convinced them that wrapping and cooking burns off calories, too! It does, right? RIGHT???  of course, it does! thank you.)
Since this was Cade's BIG ADULT birthday, I went with a 21 theme... on newspaper! We didn't have any wrapping paper that wasn't Christmas!
Without a doubt, Cade is the BEST apple pie baker ever! And since he seldom gets to do any cooking at college, he decided to make his own dessert! Bruce told me not to dissuade him. Bruce LOVES Cade's apple pie! :)
It really was fun, being with Cade in the kitchen- I was making lasagna, and he was making the pie. We joked, laughed, and talked about everything and nothing.
Cade even cuts the little pictures in the top dough- just like his Gramma.
While the pie baked, we started dinner.
We've never allowed our children even a sip of wine or champagne, or beer while they are under-age. I guess my main reasoning was, that I wanted them to look forward to something- I wanted the milestones to be important, and not pass by un-noticed, SO, Cade got wine with his birthday meal.
I am not naive. I know this was probably NOT the first time Cade ever tasted alcohol, but we pretended it was... and it was certainly the first time Cade ever tasted alcohol in his parent's presence! :)
Then, he got down to the important business of opening his "under plate" gifts!
Apparently, "under the plate" gifts started with my Father's family. They are small, inexpensive gifts i.e. candy, gum, magazines, pens, etc. that fit under the birthday honoree's plate!  Gifts to open and examine BEFORE the meal! An appetizer of presents, so to speak! 
I have been known to get carried away with my "under the plate" gifts. 
After an incredible meal, Cade got to open his real gifts. He got the symbolic 6-pack of beer... to honor his 21st birthday status!
But, he also, got a super nice tea pot, to honor his healthy lifestyle :)
Both Chelsey and Cass got him amazing gifts- keeping his age in mind.
Chelsey got him a set of Big Sky Brewery beer glasses.
Each one different. Very classy.
Cass made him check his email to discover his gift. A one yr. subscription to Playboy! *sighs* What are big brothers for, right?  *his mother sighs again*  Cade was thrilled. *and his mother sighs YET again* (Cass insists it's for the articles... although he admitted he'd never read any of the articles- but he'd heard they were amazing). Do I have to tell you I sighed?
Bruce and I gave Cade an ultra-compact digital camera. It's a FUN little thing! so many features!
No time for dessert yet! Bruce and Cade grabbed their coats and hats, and flew out the door to the Thompson Falls Homecoming football game. (told you we had to pack a lot of fun into just a few days).
When they got back, the pie was done, and still warm.  We sang Happy Birthday to Cade, and cut large slices, to top with vanilla ice cream.
Cade really DOES make the best apple pie!
Cade and I talked for a little while, but we were pretty exhausted, and headed off to bed soon after.
The next day, Cade stayed long enough to indulge his old mother, by trekking around the yard, taking photos- me with my camera, and Cade with his new one! He takes amazing photos, btw. Then, he was off- back to school. I know he's an adult now... and a responsible one, too, with one heck of a good head on his shoulders- but to me?  He's, also, my sweet, little boy- and I miss him, very much.

3 comments:

  1. Of course wrapping gifts and making dinner burns calories. :)
    I'm glad you had a great celebration with Cade, albeit a short one. I know you packed as much as you can in that little time. The food looks sooooooooo delicious. His apple pie looks nice and full of apples.
    Yes, very good articles in Playboy. LOL. It's just in small print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mere, adult or not, with such warm and special traditions, such love and celebration - he will always want to come home. (Oh and with cinnamon twists and homemade lasagna, yup, the boy will always want to come home!) I love this post. And I LOVE that he poked a little apple into the top of the pie. THAT is the cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the birthday traditions! I loved the lights! The lasagna looked good too! :)
    I KNOW I don't need to comment about the pie... My mouth is watering!!!

    ReplyDelete