Saturday, April 21, 2012

Vida

So, now I have a pet coyote.
Ok... she's not REALLY my pet- but remember that young pup coyote, that came and played in the horse pasture and our back yard last Winter?  I posted about her. I was just enamored with her zest for life. Well, she's back.
She's back because another sign of Spring, around here, is the infiltration of our pastures by Columbian Ground Squirrels.  I call them Prairie dogs, or gophers, but I have been informed, many times, that I'm being inaccurate.  Whatever- they are a HUGE problem.  There are holes EVERYWHERE- and I'm terrified one of my mares is going to break a leg just trotting around their yard. Vida is helping me out.
I'd been noticing her in the pasture for awhile.
She would stalk the goph.... *sighs* Columbian Ground Squirrels just like a cat!
When she pounced, she'd start digging.
I tried explaining to her that the digging part wasn't really helping the mares or me. 
She wasn't impressed with my logic.
As time has gone by, she's started coming in closer and closer to the barn to try her luck catching rodents, and sticking around while I feed the horses. She watches me carefully the entire time I'm down there. She's right not to fully trust any human. But for me, she's become another of my special friends. 
Vida

3 comments:

  1. She's probably saying " But my holes are bigger than theirs, so you and the mares can see mine". She is beautiful. She knows she can trust you. I don't think she would venture so close to any other human.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope she gets some of the squirrels for you. I had an old boyfriend who used to shoot them for sport at my friend's ranch in Mitchell. We were afraid they would cripple the horses with their holes there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful name for her - won't show my ignorance by asking how you know she's a she =)

    ReplyDelete