Thursday, April 1, 2010

Bringing Wynter home

It didn't take too much convincing for me to buy the beautiful, little Arab mare I'd been looking at. 
I'd gotten to ride her several times, and each time I came home more confident, and more in love!  Finally, her trainer, Shannon, and I set the day to bring her to Wind's Echo- her new home.  We had planned on taking a trail ride around our property, but that was squelched due to the hail, the rain, and some family obligations... so, Shannon brought her out around 6:30 pm.
Bruce thought I was crazy, standing out in the cold, watching for the horse trailer but finally I saw them coming down the driveway!
Dakota stood patiently, wondering what was going on. She's been depressed, too... after losing her best friend of 15 yrs, Koosa, on Christmas day. Once again, I had high hopes the two horses would get along, and be company for each other.
and then... she was out of the trailer, and I was taking her from her former family.
 As I put my halter on her, a shaft of sun illuminated us- a blessing, of sorts, from above. It is my belief that my Mother was smiling down on us with approval. She'd heard me talking to her, after all.
And although, I was ecstatically happy... I couldn't ignore that her former owner was deeply sad-  Not that she had any doubts selling me this horse. She knows I'll take care of her for the rest of her life- but this horse, whom she called Mouse, was her baby for 9 yrs. and she misses her terribly. I can't thank her enough for entrusting me with this incredible mare.
Introductions were made through the fence.
and that's how we left things until the next morning. 
But the next day, I opened the gate between pastures, and let the two mares meet.
It was an immediate success. 
They eat together, explore the pastures together.... you can usually find them, side by side. 
Friends.
Forever.

5 comments:

  1. That is one GORGEOUS horse! I'm so happy for you (and for Dakota!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a wonderful story with a story-book ending. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. A happy beginning for all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO GLAD they fell in love with each other. I had a feeling Dakota would love her! Now you have two girls to enjoy. Maybe when you go riding sometime you can take Dakota along. She would love that! Wynter is a sweet addition to your menagerie.
    I look forward to many more happy stories. C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a gorgeous girl!! I got tears in my eyes reading your account of introducing Wynter/Mouse and Dakota, remembering introducing my Arab stallion & gelding and how they were such a bonded pair all the years I was blessed with having them. Please post more pictures! She's a real doll! (And hand that camera to your hubby and have him take some with you and her together!!)

    ReplyDelete