Thursday, April 1, 2010

The joke was on me

Since Thurs. was our last day of preschool before Easter, I had a woman, and her two young sons come to the school with their baby bunnies.  The youngest boy, Isaac, was holding the largest of the bunnies, a soft, black and white buck he called Charlie.  The preschoolers were wonderful- sitting quietly, stroking the babies we placed in their laps. Isaac was explaining that Charlie was older than the other bunnies but he was the boy's favorite. Isaac often brought Charlie into the house, and spent a lot of time caring for and playing with the rabbit.  Then, Isaac sidled up to me, and stared desperately into my eyes. "Will you save my bunny? My Dad is going to butcher him tonight." 
I looked over at the mother, and she solemnly shook her head yes. These are meat rabbits, and when they get to be the size of Charlie, and haven't been sold as pets, the family uses them for food.  While the father thought this a great idea, the mother and the two boys were definitely not on board.  "You're selling them?" I asked, and the mother said yes- so... what could I do???  I bought Charlie.
Another preschool Mom bought two more of the babies, and I decided Bruce wouldn't divorce me if I came home with two bunnies, versus one... so, I bought one of the babies, too.  A soft little grey and white sweetheart.  All the bunnies had been held and loved from the moment they were born, so they were exceptionally calm, and acclimated to humans. Just the perfect little pets.
I named them Abra and Cadabra! and couldn't wait to bring them home and introduce them to Pocus... my ancient bunny who lost his sister Hocus just 2 months earlier.
First I introduced them to the Shelties. Selkie, who has ALWAYS loved bunnies for some reason, took to them immediately. She stood and watched them, her little tail wagging faster, and more furiously than I've ever seen it!  Then, it was time to see how Pocus would react.
Poor Pokey, sat all alone in the corner of his pen. Lately, he hasn't been eating much, and he won't let me pet him.  I was really hoping he would accept the new little bunnies. I was hoping they'd spark his interest in life, and relieve some of the depression he was feeling over the loss of his sister, Hocus.
Abra and Cadabra got right down to exploring every inch of their spacious bunny enclosure.
Meanwhile, Pocus knew something was going on.  He perked up his big, soft ears, and almost trembled with excitement.
First he checked out Cadabra (formerly Charlie)...
and then, little Abra..... and then, he did something that actually brought tears to my eyes. He started grooming the two babies! Just like he used to do with Hocus.
and now the three of them are best friends. :)

2 comments:

  1. *smiles* You never have to worry about bringing home fur family. They always seem to get along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a sweet story, Meredith!! I've had bunnies in the past--they're precious! The two new ones you got are lovely colors. It's such a joy that Pocus is so overjoyed to have buddies again! That's so wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete