Monday, October 10, 2011

On going process Part 4

Shannon had taught me how to round pen a horse, how to get it to cross it's front legs over the other, and to disengage it's hind end. She taught me how to get a horse to flex, to give at the poll, and the importance of being the leader so your horse could trust, and follow you.  She taught me how to longe a horse outside of the round pen, and together we'd finally found a saddle that fit Journey to a T.  She'd proven to me that Journey was steady, mellow, and took new experiences in stride.
It was time to bring Journey home.

I was dutiful about longeing Journey every day.  The first day I had to force myself to do it. The second day was much easier.  On the third day, Shannon, Maddie and Kyle came out to ride with me.
I had Journey longed, and saddled before they arrived.
Shannon was going to ride Wynter, so she had to longe her a bit, to remind her to mind her manners.
It didn't take long for them to come to an understanding.
And then, we were off!  Poor Dakota had to stay behind.  She was NOT happy about it.
We went down by the river, through the trees- one of my favorite spots in the world.
Wynter behaved beautifully.
Kyle and Maddie ponied Shannon's 2 yr. old, Sheila, for the first part of the ride. Later, Shannon would trade horses, and let them pony Wynter, while she rode Sheila.
 
At one point, Maddie even got to ride Wynter for a little bit!
Riding down the trail, I began noticing the leaves beginning to change color, and the quiet, peacefulness of the woods.
I began to relax, and to trust my horse.
I began to regain some of my old confidence
I began to regain the joy I always felt when riding.
and it didn't escape my notice
that I was FINALLY doing just exactly what I'd dreamed of doing. Riding my own horse, on my own property without fear
and enjoying every minute of it!

2 comments:

  1. The best experiences require hard work and sacrifice to achieve. Well done Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so content, Mere... I am happy for you... Learn your lessons well. I may be calling on you for some advice in the future... I will also be a little rusty when I first get back in the saddle, but I am looking forward to it and your adventures are getting me excited to go back to what I love! C.

    ReplyDelete