Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Best ride EVER!

You've all been privy to my ongoing challenge with Journey.  Last Wednesday was a lovely day, and I rode her out of the pasture, and into the back meadow.  I was nervous- She was nervous BUT we rode a short trail through the woods (filled, she was sure, with horse eating monsters) first with me working to distract her with "jobs" (turning, backing, going over logs, etc), then again, with less tension, and a third time trotting! When we came back into our field, she was sure she was finished with this "riding business", but I forced her into the far pasture (where she acted like a rodeo bronc, and bucked off my daughter last summer) and made her trot in circles until she did it easily, without resistance.  I felt I'd progressed with her, and in MY training. LOL!
Imagine my surprise, when I went out to longe her last Saturday, and she reared!
and started bucking!
while on the longe line!
I was proud of myself... I didn't panic, and I didn't scream. I told her NO, firmly, and insisted she stay trotting in the direction I'd sent her.  I kept her longeing, switching directions often, until she showed no attitude. I was hoping that she'd been testing me, and praying I'd passed.
But that little tantrum of hers had a subtle effect.  I found that even though our last ride had been so successful, I was reluctant to get on her back again.  All my old fears were rearing their ugly heads. I figured that it WAS November, and cold... and so, I could just let the whole riding thing go... but deep inside, I knew I was letting fear get the better of me, and I was sad.
Then....
today, turned out to be a GORGEOUS day- AND I happened to have the day off.
I told myself I didn't have to ride... BUT, I should longe Journey again, and do some groundwork.  She did her ground work perfectly, so with growing confidence, I saddled her up.
We worked at opening and closing gates for awhile- maneuvering backwards, forwards, sideways, etc. We got pretty good!
Then, we worked on going where I wanted to go :)  which was seldom where Journey wanted to go, at least in the beginning. 
THEN, in a huge leap of faith for me, I asked her to canter.
This should NOT be a big deal, however, EVERY time I've asked her to canter in the past, she initially, just refused to- trotting faster and faster and faster, but resisting breaking into a lope. When I would finally convince her to change her gait, she'd buck, which would scare me, and I'd quit asking her to canter. Today, I decided to try again, and this time.....
She immediately moved into a canter the first time I asked, and NO BUCK!
It was FAST! and it was scary, and I bounced all around (poor horse), but she didn't buck! I didn't fall off! and I wanted MORE!
So, I pulled her around, and we did it again! and again! and again! Every time I got better. Every time, she immediately moved into a lope, and never thought about bucking! 
EUPHORIA!
But I wasn't done.
We opened the far gate, and rode out into the meadow.  She was a bit nervous, and since we'd been cantering, she was moving out briskly.  I made sure she would back up for me, and flex, and I gave her some "work" to do.  We rode that short trail one way, and then, turned and rode it back the other way. We struck off into the woods, and walked over logs, under trees, on deer paths, and on trails we made ourselves. We took off down a part of the road we'd never ridden before, and at some point, I felt, actually felt, Journey sigh, and give herself over to trusting me. Her nervousness was just GONE. She was ready and willing to be my partner wherever I asked her to go.  
I petted and stroked her winter-furry neck, warm and soft. I talked to her the entire ride- babbling on and on about how good she was, how brave, and strong, and how very much I loved her. I looked around, and saw the golden yellow tamaracks, the orange ferns, the brown grasses, the snow on the mountains, and that Montana blue sky.  And I was overwhelmed with gratitude.
We'd made it! 
I trusted her, and she, in turn, decided she'd trust me.
And THAT, just that, is what made this our BEST ride ever!
at least, so far. :)

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful adventure. Thanks for letting us live it vicariously through you and Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You trust her, she trusts you...and most importantly, YOU trust you. It's been quite a journey. I'm so impressed with you both. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've come so far, Mere and are such an inspiration! I enjoy your riding posts so much! They are getting me excited for my future riding experiences... Journey and you are becoming best friends. I'm glad that your relationship is progressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic!!! I'm glad you never gave up and that she followed your instructions. I thought it was Wynter who used to give you that problem.

    ReplyDelete