Monday, November 14, 2011

Sissy

You might remember Sissy.  She was a fawn last Winter- the sister of Imp. Just a tiny little thing.  Well, I'm pretty sure this is the same little deer.  She's grown a bit, but unfortunately, she's succumbed to a virus called deer fibroma. 
It's a benign growth, which unfortunately, is fairly easily transferable.  Sissy is lucky, because her growth isn't likely to interfere with her ability to see or eat. You can imagine how disastrous it is when deer develop these fibromas near their eyes, their mouth, or even on their throats. 
Perhaps, this growth will keep any hunters from shooting her, and she'll go on to raise fawns of her own.  It doesn't seem to keep other deer away from her.  We see her often in the company of her mother. 
So, even in the wild, there are some who bear burdens, who stand out in the crowd. I see so many similarities between wildlife and human life.  I'll keep you up to date on our little Sissy.

1 comment:

  1. Poor little Sissy... I hope she sticks close to you so she can be watched. I have a doe laying down in my pasture right now who I hope is ok, as she does not have much cover and it is 10 degrees out. I wish I had a Bruce to check her out....

    ReplyDelete