Friday, May 25, 2012

First ride this year

The day after my last day of preschool, Shannon drove out with horses and kids, so we could go on our first ride of the year!  (well- first ride of the year for me. Shannon never stops riding her horses, so this was old hat to her).
There was Shannon on Sheila, her green-broke 3 yr. old Palamino, Kyle on Wynter, who was wild as a March hare, and threw Kyle when she started bucking before we even got out of the pasture! Dane on Latte, who rides hell-bent-for-election as only a fearless 10 yr. old can, and Alan on his green-broke mare, Nova.  He JUST started her a month before! 
So, it was no wonder that I was nervous, and Journey was jumpy.  We took our normal trail, through the woods, down by the river.  Shannon had me turning Journey in circles, backing up, circling trees, etc. which did calm her down a bit.
Until we came to the water.  To get to the resevoir, you have to walk, single-file, down a deer trail-one side is the hill, the other a drop off.  Kyle took Wynter first, and was wrestling with her to put her feet in the water.  Wynter does NOT like water. Then, Alan took Nova down, and she started dancing.  Shannon was there with Sheila, and Dane and I were coming down the trail.  It didn't look to me like there was any room for Journey and I to even get close to the water, but Shannon insisted.  Suddenly, Nova and Wynter jostled, and turned to bolt up the hill- Journey wheeled, and gathered to bolt, but a quick pull on the reins steadied her.  I wasn't going back down even after everyone else got control and headed back into the river, but Shannon insisted- so Journey and I, finally, ended up in the resevoir, where Journey pawed at the water playing.  She may have recovered, but I was a nervous wreck!
 The wind was blowing like CRAZY that day, bringing sounds and smells swirling around the horses. I'm sure this contributed to their feisty attitudes.
Once safely back at the barn, I was able to reflect a bit.  I HAD been in complete control of Journey at all times, and I take comfort in that thought.  She hadn't done anything wrong, and though it wasn't as relaxing as I'd wanted, it had been a great way to kick off the Summer!
Here's to many more safe rides!

1 comment:

  1. Horses love this time of year with its smells and crisp air. It was no wonder they were all feeling so foxy! Journey HAS come a long way with all your teaching. I'll bet she would've never gone in the water earlier and you would've had a rodeo!

    ReplyDelete