Monday, October 19, 2015

For Ayn

It's a grey day today. October's flawless blue skies are covered with heavy, thick clouds. Is it an extension of my feelings? or does it contribute to the melancholy I feel? Regardless, it seems apropos.
Last night, I found out I'd lost, yet ANOTHER good friend- and to make things even odder, she, also, lost her life due to a fall. Apparently, she fell, suffered a brain hemorrhage and was in a coma for several days. Ayn Cabaniss died yesterday morning, Oct. 18, 2015. 
 
Ayn was several years younger than I. She was my college room mate, my Sophomore year at Hillsdale College in Michigan. Ayn was the youngest of three children born and raised in the South. She had a lovely, slow accent that I can still hear when I close my eyes. She was SUPER intelligent, spunky, and out spoken. She served the Peace Corps in Samoa, and traveled all over the World. She had a heart for animals, and rescued many, many, many souls. She was brave, and courageous, and insightful, and she loved her three boys.
Last Spring, we'd made plans to meet up again- It had been 10 1/2 yrs since we'd last spent time together. Ayn was going to be in our area for some reason... We made up a spare bedroom for her- but then, it just didn't happen. Her plans changed. I was busy. We said we'd have to make an effort to see each other over the Summer, but then, that didn't happen either. 
 
So, therein lies the lesson.
 Everyday Life is insidious. It steadfastly proceeds in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually has a grave effect. It fosters lost opportunities in the guise of comfort and propagates regrets.   
Having lost 3 friends in 3 months, I think  Muhammad Ali has it right. 
“Don't count the days, make the days count.”
Carpe Diem. 
Seize the day.
Live each day as if you were dying- because you are.
Stop taking Life for granted. 
Live and love and push yourself to DO those things important to you.
NOW.

3 comments:

  1. What beautiful words. I'm so sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you wrote is beautiful. Tears to my eyes. Wonderful. Thank you so, so much!

    -- Ayn's brother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am incredibly grateful to be able to give you/your family a small bit of comfort. Ayn was a special friend... I remember her with much love. I appreciate so much, hearing from you, and Nabers. Please keep in touch.

      Delete