Monday, October 19, 2015

Soul Cakes

It's no secret that I love Hallowe'en! :)
I love the season, the colors, the cooler temperatures, and that slight haze in the air. I love the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, pumpkin baked goods! the sweet, syrupy, apple goodies! cornbread and cider, and squash! I love the stories, the sense that perchance, conceivably, just MAYBE magic is real... and the assurance that SOMEday, I really WILL see a witch flying across the full moon. I love bonfires, and burning leaves, and working outside in a sweater putting things away because Winter is coming. I love cornshocks, and pumpkins, and purple Mums. 
I love Hallowe'en.
I spent today, trying to use up our apples. I baked 6 apple breads to freeze, and one apple crisp for Bruce's dessert. And while chopping apples, I was thinking about my heritage, and Samhain (pronounced Sow en) Our family is very Welsh, with a bit of German, French and Irish tossed in. In other words, we're descended from the Celts. The Celts' new year started on Nov. 1st, but on their New Year's eve, they believed that the veil between the living and the dead was thin, and spirits were able to roam the Earth causing mischief. 
 The Celts would dress up as spirits, so the dead would think they were one of their own! And the poor would, then, go "souling"- in other words, they would go from house to house and pray for the souls of the people living there. The occupants of the house would give them "soul cakes"- one cake for each soul prayed for! The original trick-or-treat!
 
This intrigued me. I wanted to know WHAT a soul cake was- so, I googled it! and lo! and behold! I found a recipe. ;)  SO- I tried it! And now YOU can, too!

Ingredients Nutrition

 Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender or a large fork.
  3. Blend in the sugar, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and allspice; beat eggs, vinegar, and milk together.
  4. Mix with the flour mixture until a stiff dough is formed.
  5. Knead thoroughly and roll out 1/4-inch thick.
  6. Cut into 3-inch rounds and place on greased baking sheets. Prick several times with a fork and bake for 20-25 minutes.
  7. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar while still warm.
    They are not cake-y... more.... like a shortbread cookie. Lightly sweet- a bit dry, but fantastic with coffee! I love the ginger/cinnamon/nutmeg/allspice flavor!
I'm actually very pleased with myself! and I feel oddly connected to my ancestors- To think, I'm replicating a recipe originally made in 500 A.D.!!!
Happy Souling!

No comments:

Post a Comment