Saturday, March 27, 2010

Fire on the Mountain

We knew it was coming. The Forest Service is very good about alerting all home owners in the area of a prescribed burn- but somehow, I hadn't thought about the helicopters.  It just hadn't occurred to me that, of course they'd be using helicopters.
Not that Bruce or I cared... we just didn't realize how much our animals would care!
 Dakota used this opportunity to RACE around and around the two pastures (because the gate separating the two was open).  She was so frantic, and ran herself so hard, she was completely lathered AND lame on that front right leg by the time the helicopter left the area.
It was while Bruce was watching the helicopter... and I was trying to calm Dakota, that Bruce noticed something else running in the pasture.  Cowboy!!! our rooster! And he was squawking his head off.  Rusty, one of the Aracauna hens had literally "flown the coop" with her rooster companion- but SHE had seen the error of her ways, and was frantically trying to get back to her friends.  Once I opened the door to the chicken yard, she darted inside, went straight inside the chicken coop and huddled up with Castor (rooster), Henny Penny, Rosey, Henrietta, Chicken Little, Daisy and the rest.  Now, the problem was trying to catch Cowboy.
Cowboy is our great, big, beautiful, black rooster. (Castor is our great, big, beautiful, white rooster : ).  He'd never left his chicken yard before and he was PETRIFIED!  It must have been a funny sight... Bruce, Cade (who was home on Spring break) and I running around in the field cooing, "here chick, chick, chick"- darting back and forth, while this crazy rooster led us in circles and figure 8's, all the while squawking his frightened head off.  Finally, Cade got the idea that we should throw a blanket over him.  Bruce ran up and grabbed a blanket, and creeped stealthily ever closer behind the bird, while I tried to distract our fugitive.  Suddenly, Bruce lunged, and threw the blanket, while Cowboy easily dodged this new threat, and ran even further into the pasture. I swear I heard Dakota laughing.
Meanwhile, the helicopter finished doing whatever it is it was doing, and flew off.
Cowboy was pretty tired, and decided home was looking pretty good.  It didn't take long before the three of us herded him back into the chicken yard. He crowed a couple of times out of sheer bravado, before settling down to eat.
Bruce, Cade and I headed back to the house for our own dinner, and to watch the eerie spots of fire glowing  throughout the night.

3 comments:

  1. WOW, How close is the fire? I know you said it will be bad year for fire hazards because of the lack of snow this winter. I'm sure it was a sight to see the 3 of you running around. hehehehe. I'm glad all the animals are safe now. The helicopter flew over your house? I remember seeing them when we were there a few years ago, once while driving there and when we were at your place. I hope they are able to put it out fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a prescribed burn. The Forest Service waits until the weather is exactly right- right humidity, no wind, and during the Spring when vegetation is pretty wet, and lights small fires in predetermined sites. This burns up the undergrowth, and dead trees, etc. which reduces the chances of major forest fires in the Summer. So, this was a GOOD thing that they picked the mountain in our backyard! :) IF only I'd remembered about the helicopters! and had locked the chickens in their coop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Dakota! I hope her leg is better.... It's a good thing they did this now! Last summer was so hot when I was there, things would have gone up like a matchstick! Glad you got the chickens back in. I had to use the blanket trick to catch a loose Cockatoo when I worked in the pet shop. It did work and was so funny to see legs sticking out below! C

    ReplyDelete