Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Horse Shopping

So.... I've been looking for a pleasure riding horse. I used to ride a lot... and as a kid, my best friend was my Morgan/Arabian, Brandywine.  When I wasn't in the barn, Brandy and I were striking off on the myriad of trails around my house, embarking on adventure after adventure.  I loved that horse!  Since Koosa's death, my mare, Dakota Skye, has been lonely, having  only the chickens, deer and elk as her companions- AND since my kids have all grown up and left home.... I have a lot of free time.  A very good friend urged me to see a horse she knew would be coming up for sale, and today, I was able to ride her  (the horse! not the friend, Silly! :)
She's a 13 yr. old Arabian mare named Mouse and she is absolutely GORGEOUS! Despite the fact that I haven't ridden in probably over 5 yrs!!! I was able to stay on this horse! and she was very responsive and forgiving. She has a lot of "get up and go!" but she never even tried to take off on me.  I think she will challenge me to become a better rider, but I'm excited to take that challenge! 
When I got home, I wanted to discuss every moment of the trail ride- I wanted to talk to my husband, Bruce... my partner who encourages me, and knows me inside and out.  I wanted to talk to our daughter, Chelsey... a fellow horse lover, rider, and romantic.  I wanted to talk to my sister, Candi... who taught me to ride horses when I was 5, and who also loves and knows horses.  But after I touched base with each of them, I had a nagging feeling... there was someone else I wanted to tell. Someone else with whom I needed to discuss whether or not I should buy this horse. If she was too much horse for me? Someone else I needed to be excited with- and then... it hit me. My mother. I needed to tell my mother.
My tiny little mother, all 5'1" of her, used to ride my father's great, big Thoroughbred, Thunderhead. He, too, was a white horse, with a charcoal mane and tail. He, just like Mouse, was a challenge... a high strung, well trained, retired race horse, who loved my mother as she loved him.  How I wish I could talk to her again. I wonder what she would say. I wonder at the intensity of the feeling I have, that she's right here with me throughout this decision.
Anyway... I'm going to go riding again next week... and then, if all goes well, I hope to be able to bring Mouse to our home, and see how she does here- in unfamiliar surroundings. I'm really hoping for the best.  I'm really looking forward to riding and working with a horse again.
 And I'm anxious for Dakota to have a new friend.  Of course, I'm also, anxious for my legs to start working again! Now that the adrenaline has worn off, they HURT!!! *LOL*

5 comments:

  1. She's such a pretty little thing. I'm still lobbying for the name Wynter. And I LOVE that photo of Mom & Thunder. I can almost hear the sweet soothing things she's saying to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a beautiful horse. I'm sure you were both comfortable with each other. She can feel the love that you will give her. And I'm sure your mom is very excited for you too, looking at you with a smile and giving her approval of whatever you decide. I can see her love of animals in her eyes, just as you do.

    And I'm sure your legs must be very sore from not having ridden for awhile. I'm glad you get to tide her again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is cute! She does look like a mouse in the face. I can see where she got her name. Dakota will be thrilled! Glad to hear you are taking up riding again. When I move, we can compare horse stories! I can sympathize about the soreness. It is NOT something I am looking forward to..... It WILL get better, though... Hope to hear more about her soon. C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I teared up when I read about your new horse, Meredith. Of course, I thought of when you and the time years ago when you and Chloe rode together, you, her first teacher. Update: she just returned from Arizona with her wonderful Quarter Horse and all they have learned together, since that time with you. They gave a demo to the college there with Chloe galloping, shooting and hitting targets with a .45 on her faithful quarter horse. They are one - with her beautiful blond pony tail and him with his stunning blond tail - being a Palomino. She is now training Abbi, her little sister. It would make you cry to see them! It all started with you and her first pony which you boarded and helped us surprise her with. How perfect that your circle of life continues. You are amazing and this new horse is fortunate to be with you and your family. Our love and admiration continue,
    Karen and Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful picture of your Mother. This post made me want to cry! Hope everything works out perfectly for you! :) ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete