Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

My Mother's Day this year was wonderful. I was remembered and honored by my husband and all three of my children. Gifts had arrived earlier in the week, and dutifully set aside- Bruce worked hard at making the entire day special, and fun. We went out for a sophisticated (for Thompson Falls, anyway) brunch of asparagus frittata, homemade breads basket, and fresh fruit with yogurt dressing. YUM! Then, we drove to Plains, MT. to Lynch Creek Nursery to look at the plants. I just LOVE that place- so full of potential, and color. It just feels like summer when you walk through the gates.  We ended up buying a peach tree!!! and a nectarine tree!!! to supplement our little orchard. Exciting!  Then, back to Thompson where Bruce had me select a bakery cake! :)

Once home, I'd planned on riding Wynter, but a torrential rainstorm blew through just as we were driving up to the house. Wind, driving rain- I decided to curl up and finish my book instead :)  and that gave me time to remember Mother's Days from the past, and contemplate the differences.
Back then, I had to fain sleep, while listening to my three help their Daddy make breakfast. It wouldn't do to get up TOO early- before they'd had a chance to get everything ready.  One by one they would pop into the bedroom to see if I was awake yet, then, turn and YELL... "NOPE! she's still sleeping!" hehehe  When they finally discerned I WAS awake, in they would march- Cass carrying a cup of hot coffee, Chelsey and Cade sharing the newspaper. Their little eyes would be shining with excitement. "Stay here, Mommy! Don't come out yet!"  Chelsey would sit on the bed, chatting until Cass called her back to her duties in the kitchen. 

I could hear the conversations... Bruce's deep patient voice. "Ok. You crack the egg... No! don't squeeze it... don't squeeze it... I said DON"T SQUEEZE it! now we have to pick out the egg shells... WAIT! did you wash your hands???"  Those were wonderful days, even if the breakfast was a bit, um... crunchy.

Well- they are all grown up now, leading busy, full lives and yet each one of them called me today! Each one of them sent a gift! Each one of them took the time to remember and honor me and make me feel loved. I am so blessed. Thank you, darlin's.

2 comments:

  1. You deserve it all, Meredith. You are a fantastic mom. I'm glad you had a great, although quiet day. I know all 3 wish they could have been there to celebrate it with you, but they were there in hearts and thoughts. You are a great person and I am honoured to have known you for these past 9 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a wonderful day. Jo had all the kids with her and we celebrated our love for her. You and Jo are wondeful mothers and very proud of your children.much love from us,
    Rod

    ReplyDelete