Saturday, April 30, 2011

Changing things up

Since the purpose of this blog is to compare the average American lifestyle with our style of living in rural Montana, I thought I'd give you a glimpse of what I tend to do with recipes.  Here's the original recipe.
Spicy Applesauce Muffins
2 cups flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. ginger
3/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg
2 Tblsp. oil
3/4 cup raisins
Preheat oven to 400. Spray muffin tins (18) with non-stick cooking spray, or use paper liners. 
Mix ingredients together. Spoon into muffin tins. Bake 20 min.
 NOW
when I make these muffins... it goes a bit like this:
I use a combination of organic white flour, and organic wheat flour, grown and processed in Montana. I have to scoop it out of 50 lbs. sacks that I keep in the pantry.
I grate my own nutmeg because it smells so HEAVENLY! and it's so fresh!
I use the chunky applesauce that I made last Fall and canned. The apples were picked from my neighbors' orchard. It's thick, and spiced, and WONDERFUL, if I do say so myself!
We are using Almond milk lately- it keeps longer, and has less cholesterol. BUT if I didn't happen to have any in the refrigerator (which happens a lot) I mix up some powdered milk, and use that. It's just too far to drive to the grocery store here.  If I don't have the ingredients, I make do with a creative change or two.
I use two egg whites from the eggs I gathered from the hens this morning. Fresh, LARGE eggs from chickens who do not realize how good a life they lucked into.
Instead of raisins, I added craisins, because I love cranberries, but I throw in a handful or two of chopped nuts, too.
However you want to make these muffins, they are delicious! Not too sweet, packed with wholesome ingredients, they make a wonderful addition to your breakfast, or dinner. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment