Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza

Ok... I rarely post recipes on my blog, because... well, because it's just not a recipe blog.  (BTW, I have a friend who DOES have a recipe blog that she's just started up, and if you like food, you really should check it out.  It's called Dee's Dishes and the URL is: http://deedishes.blogspot.com/ )
I digress....
The point of this post is that Bruce and I tried a recipe for a Chicago Style Deep Dish Pizza, and it's truly OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!
The original recipe tells you to use:
1 one pound loaf frozen bread dough thawed
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 small onion
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes- drained
3/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. fennel seed
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Press bread dough into the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9x13 pan.
2.  Cook sausage in large skillet. When browned, drain, and crumble over dough crust.  Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly over the sausage.
3.  Add mushrooms, and onion to the skillet- cook until tender-crisp. Stir in tomatoes, oregano, fennel seed and garlic powder.  Spoon over mozzarella cheese.  Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
4.  Bake for 25-35 min.
I never have frozen bread dough around, because it's just so easy to make your own.  So, I made my pizza crust using:
1 Tblsp. yeast
1 tsp. sugar
1 cup VERY HOT water (from tap)
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oil
I, also, added garlic powder, a tsp. of Italian seasoning, and onion powder with the flour.  I like flavored crust- but if you don't, you wouldn't have to add the spices. 
Bruce and I also added chopped green peppers along with the mushrooms and onions.  For us, the more fresh vegies, the better!  And of course, our sausage was wild game- but then... you know- that's just how we are. :)
It's understandable why this recipe is so amazing.  After all... it's PIZZA!!!  AND it's from CHICAGO!  so... there you go.  Try it and let me know what you think.

5 comments:

  1. J just ordered a new nonstick rolling pin and a mat from QVC. I will try this when I get in my MT kitchen. My mouth is watering! I LOVE pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks beyond yummy Mere =) and am linking this and thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow saw it now my tummy's growling soo laughing....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, my friend that is not a 9 x 13 pan - what did you use? And you are the baker ~ laughing so hard ~ shouldn't I like let the bread dough rest or knead it or something???? Basics long forgotten...=)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes- it really IS a 9x13 pan. Camera angle must distort the photo. The pizza dough doesn't require kneading or time to rest- HOWEVER I DO knead it 5-7 min. Before I throw it in the pan or on the pizza stone. Letting it rest sure doesn't hurt it in any way- it's just not required for a pizza crust :)

    ReplyDelete