Monday, June 1, 2015

Forever June

I think most teachers will relate... That first morning, you wake up after your last day of school for the year- you're suddenly ENVELOPED by a sense of incredible FREEDOM!!!!  The days stretch out in front of you- days filled with promise and anticipation! Days to wallow in leisure activities, such as reading a book!!! or xstitching! or gardening! or (fill in the blank)! TIME is now your friend, and it's relaxed, and amiable and filled with awesome plans. It's June. And June is a beautiful thing. 

Once July comes, you start feeling the pressure of knowing your time is limited. You push a bit harder- you experience some stress in getting everything accomplished. In August, you're back to making lesson plans, setting up your classroom, and thinking, ceaselessly, about all you want to do in the coming year. Whatever plans you make have to take the beginning of the school year into consideration. It seems to be ONLY June, that is a complete liberation from a life-consuming calling. 

So, when I retired- I woke up the next day, and instantly acknowledged my "June feeling!"  I greeted it with delight. I reveled in it! I stretched, and hugged it to me, breathing in it's fresh scent....
 and then, 
it HIT me! 
Oh WOW! This is my life now! Forever!
 Forever June!
I'm still processing what that means to me- good, bad, a little of both?
 I'll keep you posted. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I have been retired awhile now and observe that I still look forward to weekends even though there is no rhyme nor reason to do so. I think that it's because I still remember what it felt like to have Friday afternoon roll around and have all of Saturday and Sunday ahead of me. So, FWIW, I still think you will enjoy June for the same reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Meredith! Forever June... I like it. :) Enjoy my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete