Sunday, June 14, 2015

The pattern of my days

When contemplating retirement, I was a bit concerned I would spend the vast majority of my days sitting on the couch, eating tortilla chips and reading book after book- because, frankly, that's probably my number 1 favorite thing to do!  And while a little of that is necessary for me, I worried I'd quickly abuse my new found freedom. That turned out not to be the case.
I realized, just the other day, that I'd developed a sort of routine. Skye gets Bruce up at 6 am every morning. Seriously, we have no need for an alarm clock. So, although, I don't jump out of bed at the same time that my poor husband does, I find myself up fairly early, curled up on the couch, clutching my first cup of coffee. This is when I check Facebook, play Word With Friends, and MonsterBusters!
Once Bruce leaves for the office, I play fetch with Skye, to tire her out, have some sort of breakfast, and allow myself to read a chapter or two.
  By then, it's definitely time to feed the horses! (and the barn kittens, and the chickens and the bunny). Wynter, my Arab, gets to be turned out on green grass every morning- a treat poor Journey and Magick would KILL for. But, Journey tends to founder, and Maggie would get so fat, I wouldn't be able to cinch the saddle!  Wynter is a difficult keeper, however, and needs green grass to keep weight on her back. And I'm happy to say it's working!
  Once up from the barn, I let the dogs out and we head to the garden.
Last year's garden was DISMAL... probably our worst ever. But THIS year's garden is showing promise! 
 
We added Llama poop this year (which one of my preschoolers told me was "THE BEST thing, Ms. Meredith!") and I have to admit that Alex seems to be correct. 
 
The dogs know better than to step foot in the garden, so they lounge and play happily just outside the fence. 
 
 Sometimes Hobbes or Itty comes to visit me while I'm weeding. 
I'm trying to get one bed done per day. So far, I've cleaned up the beets, onions, spinach, tomatoes, and beans.  It's soothing work- quiet, and peaceful. Often, I hear a big, ole Tom turkey gobbling in the distance, or the thrumming of a grouse.
Lately, when I'm done in the garden, I've been practicing piano for 20-30 min. Slowly, my fingers are remembering, and responding, and my efforts are finally resembling music!
 After that, I can work on my xstitch project, before getting down to the house chores... sweeping, dishes, the parrots, kitty litter, wash, etc. There's plenty to do here but I find I'm even enjoying the busy-work of caring for the house. I think it's in direct contrast to never seeming to have had enough time to get everything done. Now, what isn't accomplished today will be tackled tomorrow. No pressure! and I'm getting more done.

Bruce is REALLY enjoying MY retirement! ;)


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are enjoying yourself. Everything looks great

    ReplyDelete