Saturday, June 6, 2015

Quick epilogue

I haven't gotten many comments on my post about the Mule deer doe, and the goose family, and I'm thinking it's probably because you all have been feeling the way I'VE been feeling. Uncomfortable, worried, out-of-sorts. As the time has gone by, and I've processed the experience, I've been struck by the ferocious, unselfish, protection and (I'm just gonna say it.... Scientist husband and all) LOVE the doe and the geese exhibited. You've just got to stand in awe thinking about the incredible parenting instincts I witnessed last Weds.

That Mule deer risked life and limb, trying, alternately, to lead the dog away from her fawn, and to chase us out of the vicinity. Her relentless charges, following us until we were far from her baby, watching to make sure we weren't circling back... you can't help but admire her. What a Mama! Pity the poor coyote thinking to grab a quick meal!
And the goose family. One goose spread her wings, and ran low, covering the goslings, and trying to whisk them to safety, while the other goose, stood tall, and proud... wings beating the air, honking to try to divert Skye's attention from the birds on the ground to the easy prey standing in the road. It should have worked. Skye should have gone after the lone bird, so close, so easy- and I'm sure the plan was for him to fly once his family was safe, and Skye posed a threat to him. But that's not how it happened... and I spent many hours thinking about that family. How they had the perfect strategy worked out. How the one goose braved the dog on the ground, never flying, hoping to give the goslings even more time to hide or make it to water. I couldn't shake the image of her in Skye's mouth, and how she sneaked off into the bushes- head and body low... had she crawled off to die? Were any of the goslings hurt in the fray? It finally became too much-

So, this morning, I braced myself to face whatever the truth was, and braved a trip back.  I'm not sure I ever conveyed how terrifying the whole encounter was with that Mule deer. I armed myself with a BIG, long stick as I entered the woods. Somewhere behind me a deer huffed... and ran through the woods. I never really saw it, so, I don't know if it was the doe, or a Whitetail- but it spooked me. So, I did what any smart person would do.... I ran and got Bruce! LOL! Together we found where Skye had grabbed the goose... feathers for sure, but none of them bloody, or essential.  I found the bush where the goose had crawled towards- no goose, no feathers, no blood. We poked around for quite awhile, making sure there were no signs of a predator coming in and taking a dead or dying goose (there would have been a PILE of feathers), and no signs of a dead or dying goose. Bruce is firmly of the opinion that the goose SURVIVED!!! and I'm SO relieved! 

I know Life doesn't always align itself with what SHOULD happen, or what I WANT to happen, but in this case, Motherhood/Parenthood, was rewarded. Moms, Dads and babies are fine, and I wasn't the harbinger of death brought into an idyllic, peaceful glen. I will, however, remember the lesson. I don't like taking chances, especially with lives at stake.

1 comment:

  1. WOW, beautiful story of your many experiences in Montana....Jo Ann & I were running errands yesterday...I was telling her about your encounter with the BIG Deer Doe.:) ..She hasn't read blog yet but wants to today...I forgot to mention the goose.

    ReplyDelete