Monday, June 29, 2015

Running rocks

I was driving home from getting a haircut, and toodling down the driveway (which is over a half mile long) when I saw what looked like.... um... running rocks?
Then, I heard an excited Mama, and realized, the Kildeer have hatched!
And, they hadn't yet learned the best of strategies for dealing with a car.
Several of them just kept running down the middle of the road.
I'd stopped the car, by this time, and sort of herded them into a safe direction.
I couldn't help but MARVEL at their defense mechanisms... how MUCH they look like rocks.  I mean, can you see the chick in this photo (above)? 
Here- I'll enlarge it for you below...
 And it's STILL difficult to see, right?  He looks like a little pile of pebbles!
How about now?  Isn't that AMAZING???
This little chick FINALLY made it to the side of the road
And when he felt safe, he just hunkered down, and refused to move. 
Meanwhile, Mom and Dad were having a fit! Trying to get my attention, they ran off a bit, 
and died.
That's honestly what it looked like. And even though I was expecting this behavior... I found myself worrying.... 
and so I did exactly what they wanted me to- I moved away from the baby, and towards the unmoving, brown lump of an obviously dead bird. And when I got close, she jumped up, ran a bit, flapping a seriously broken wing, and then, collapsed. SUCH a good Mommy! (and Daddy, as both adults were exhibiting the same behavior). 
And so, after snapping one last photo, and sending a little blessing their way, I left the Kildeer family.  Life is so FULL of interesting, incredible experiences- you just have to keep your eyes open.

3 comments:

  1. AMA-zing camouflage! They're adorable. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Amazing defense! Momma and Daddy protecting their young and trying to lure you away. :)

    ReplyDelete