Saturday, January 19, 2019

Disappointed

One of our fun activities at Wind's Echo is to check the trail cam! Living out here, it's just natural to have a good trail camera- a waterproof, motion-activated camera that you secure to a tree and leave- a day, or two, or a week... When you come back, you get to see all the things roaming around your property at night, or when you're not around. Often, it's eye opening!!! There was once a time where we discovered we had, not one! but TWO bears hanging around!
  
We captured thousands of photos of deer, and elk, and a few of coyotes and bunnies.
 We've used it several times to capture photos of whatever culprit is bothering the chickens.
(click on the photo to enlarge it so you can see the raccoon)
And once... we got THIS photo... (look on the left- those are eyes of a predator- see how close they are together? not far apart like a deer or elk. But WHICH predator???) Click on the photo to enlarge it... it's eerie
But- over the years, I realized that the old trail cam was just not cutting it any more. It stopped working at night :( which is when we NEED it to work! So, for Christmas, I got Bruce a new one! 

The first time I set it out, I wasn't used to how it worked. I THOUGHT I'd turned it on :(  but instead, I'd left it on set up. It burned up all the batteries *sighs* and I didn't get a single video or picture. 
So, intrepid and stubborn, I set it out again a few days ago.
The trick is definitely finding a good place to put it out.... well, that and turning it ON! *sighs*
This camera has SUCH a wide angle, I thought setting it to watch our back meadow, where we'd spied elk earlier, would be PERFECT! And that is what I did. 
Oh! and THIS time? I turned it on!
And then, a photo of me taking it down 

So... meh.
Nothing exciting THIS time.
But the irony of the story???? 
When I went down to feed the horses this morning? There were elk tracks in the snow ALL around the barn!  Guess where I'm going to set out the camera next???

to be continued.....

2 comments:

  1. Awesome shots !!! Excellent picture clarity. You will get some amazing shots with that camera !!

    ReplyDelete