Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Frosty

It’s been a fairly mild Winter this year. Only about 8” of snow on the ground and I don’t think we’ve had a single day of sub-zero weather (unlike 2 yrs. ago when we had WEEKS of below zero temps). But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t get a mite nippy once the sun goes down. Our crystal clear skies at night are an indicator of frosty mornings to come.
 
So, I bundle up to feed the horses, and give them a bit of extra hay.
The deer have learned that when I’m feeding the 3 mares, and walking some distance to do so, I tend to drop some stray hay on the ground. When they hear the rattle of the chain on the gates, they appear- watching- hoping. 
 

Every wire, every fence post, and gate is covered with glistening crystals.
The animals are frisky, the cold turning them into smoking dragons as their visible breath wafts slowly skyward. Everything is crisp, and clean, and each step reverberates- crunch, crunch, crunch.
I hear plenty of people grumble about Winter. They dislike the cold, and they are afraid to drive on snow (I TOTALLY understand that. It’s always a concern). As for me, I honestly would hate living somewhere without 4 distinct seasons- somewhere warm all year round. It might be easier to drive, but  I would desperately miss Winters without snow, Falls without intense colors, Springs where the new leaves emerge so GREEN in contrast to the black, bare branches of Winter. I would miss breathing in cold, clean air. I would miss my daily treks to the barn- in all kinds of weather where nothing is ever exactly the same day to day. I’ll take Montana over your easily driveable, over-crowded roads any day. I’m here to stay. ;) 


1 comment:

  1. So glad you love where you live. It's around 50 here and I'm freezing. Weather said we might see a flurry in morning. The pics as always are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete