Friday, January 18, 2019

The First Snowfall by James Russell Lowell

When my mother was just 20 yrs. old, in 1940, she lost her first 
born child- her only son. Although, she continued on to have, and 
love 4 (in her eyes, at least) precious daughters, she never forgot 
her first child. I can remember her reading this poem every 
Winter when the snow would fall- and I knew she was thinking of him.

The First Snowfall
~James Russell Lowell

The snow had begun in the gloaming, 
And busily all the night 
Had been heaping field and highway 
With a silence deep and white.
Every pine and fir and hemlock 
Wore ermine too dear for an earl,
And the poorest twig on the elm-tree 
Was ridged inch deep with pearl.


From sheds new-roofed with Carrara
Came Chanticleer's muffled crow,
The stiff rails softened to swan's-down,
And still fluttered down the snow.


I stood and watched by the window
The noiseless work of the sky, 
And the sudden flurries of snowbirds,
Like brown leaves whirling by.

I thought of a mound in sweet Auburn
Where a little headstone stood; 
How the flakes were folding it gently, 
As did robins the babes in the wood.
Up spoke our own little Mabel, 
Saying, "Father, who makes it snow?" 
And I told of the good All-Father 
Who cares for us here below.

Again I looked at the snow-fall, 
And thought of the leaden sky 
That arched o'er our first great sorrow, 
When that mound was heaped so high.

I remembered the gradual patience 
That fell from that cloud like snow, 
Flake by flake, healing and hiding 
The scar that renewed our woe.

And again to the child I whispered, 
"The snow that husheth all, 
Darling, the merciful Father 
Alone can make it fall!"

Then, with eyes that saw not, I kissed her: 
And she, kissing back, could not know 
That my kiss was given to her sister, 
Folded close under deepening snow.

 — The Complete Poetical Works of James Russell Lowell (1882)


All photographs were taken by me either last night (Jan. 17) or this 
morning (Jan. 18)

1 comment: