Sunday, February 21, 2010

Coffee Klatch

We have 3 elk who come in every afternoon together. I started calling it a coffee klatch, but it's more of a friendship gathering (as no coffee is being consumed).  
These three, Brownie (in the back), Grandma (front left) and Darkie (right) seem to be inseparable. Where you see one, you'll soon see the other two. (Were you expecting decent names??? I apologize!)
At first, I thought all three of them were "old ladies" but now, I'm just not so sure about Darkie. Sometimes I think she looks like a yearling... It's her face... 
See?  doesn't she look younger?
Anyway... I go out of my way to make them feel safe here, so they'll stay. I feed Dakota early, so I won't have to go outside while they're here.  If I DO have to leave the house while they're snacking, I sneak out the front door, deliberately not looking in their direction so as not to overly disturb them. And it seems to work. Sometimes they slowly walk into the scrubby field... sometimes they just watch me while I put out hay, and get the chickens in their coop. I like to think they know I would never harm them. I'm too appreciative of their sharing a small part of their lives in my backyard.

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely the wife of a wildlife biologist! And, I think the names are perfect and accurate by the way!

    ReplyDelete