Sunday, February 21, 2010

Frosty morning walk with the Shelties

Our neighbor's cows are calving, and so he has them gated into a side pasture... which means.... WE CAN WALK UP TO GET THE PAPER AGAIN!!! YAY!!!  (when his cows are in the lower main pasture, we can't walk up our driveway because the Longhorn is VERY nasty and has tried, several times, to annihilate our family). 
 
The Shelties are especially happy about this development. They have missed their walk up to get the mail or the newspaper. It's less than 2 miles, but it's full of fun things to smell, trails to investigate, and things to chase for a tiny bit before Mom starts calling "COME!"
Of course, Selkie has to help Bruce walk. I don't know where he'd end up if she wasn't there to manage things- lead him in the right direction, etc.
 Even with Selkie's guidance, we are STILL too slow, and the Shelties have to stop and wait for Bruce and I to catch up. All in all, though... that just gives them more time to stop and smell the roses (or poo, as the case may be).
We finally make it to Blue Slide road, where our mailbox, and paper box are. Unfortunately, we didn't see ANY wildlife! No deer! No elk! No turkeys! No coyotes! *sighs* That just means more photos of the Shelties :)  since Mom HAS to take pictures of SOMETHING!
Once home, we stop to feed Dakota, and the chickens. Selkie gets to play Farm Dog, and climb the hay bales. It's one of her favorite things to do! Piper just watches, safe and sound on the ground.
Back at the house, the three cats are waiting at the door. They never can understand WHY we won't take them up to get the paper!


2 comments:

  1. Oh Mere!
    These were SO cute!! My fave was the cats at the end! I laughed and laughed at their winning faces!
    "How could you dare to leaves us in?" the looks on their faces said.... What a great pic! I am glad the eagle made it. Wish I was in Kalispell so you could stop in... Loved the bird photos. I plan to get back to watching when I move... The Shelties were precious, as usual! Keep me posted on the eagle...C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pics. You really are able to capture the animals and birds features so well. I know how you love naming all the animals that come. Selkie is making sure Bruce doesn't take wrong turns ( you know how us men never ask for directions...LOL). The cats are cute looking out the window, waiting impatiently it looks like.
    I wish I was there to be able to see the elk and deer wandering the yard. They know it is safe there. I'm glad the eagle is making some progress. That is great to hear. It's been a few years since anyone has dropped one off to you.

    ReplyDelete