Friday, January 27, 2012

Nuthatch

I was settled down on the couch reading my book when I heard a thump, and the dogs and cats exploded all around me. The cats were meowing and leaping at the sliding glass doors, while the dogs were barking maniacally at the cats. I knew some poor, unfortunate little bird had flown into the window.
It turned out to be a Nuthatch- one of my favorite types of birds because my mother used to love to watch them walk up a tree, turn and walk down the tree (most birds back down, or fly off).  They have an uncannily LOUD cry for such a tiny little bird, and they are such cheeky little things, I can't help but love them.  This one was not in good shape. He was on his back, seizing, and twirling in circles. He couldn't help but be terrified by the noise, separated only by a thin pane of glass (which he obviously never saw).  
I shooed the cats away, and locked up the Shelties before venturing outside. Talking softly, I gingerly turned him onto his tummy, and backed away.  He quieted, and I felt a surge of hope when after awhile he lifted his head, and began to look around.  I went back in the house, and monitored his recovery. About 20 min. later, when I peeked out the window to check on him, he was gone.  And you'll be as pleased as I was when I tell you that later that day, I saw a lovely little Nuthatch feeding on the suet hanging from our "bird tree". 

Good, long life! little Nuthatch! Watch out for windows! (and a certain sneaky, orange cat!)

3 comments:

  1. I love the markings. Do they only come around in winter or year round?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hobb's, You be a nice boy! This was SUCH an enjoyable story, Mere! These little guys are so lucky to have you as their Fairy Creature Mother.... C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the nuthatches too, but ours don't have that rosy breast. Other than that, they look the same. I'm so glad the little one recovered. Speaking softly and putting him aright was a very kind thing, and I know, in the universal sense, he is grateful.

    ReplyDelete