Monday, January 30, 2012

They're baaack!

Bruce and I counted 17 head yesterday afternoon, but we suspect that's inaccurate.
We suspect there were even more.
Cows, calves, and at least 3 spike bulls, just hanging out in our meadow.
They spent hours munching on grass, shrubs, whatever it is elk find to eat these days. They bedded down in the trees, out of the rain. 
You could hear them talking to each other, and to another group of elk hanging out with our rancher neighbor's cattle up the hill.
When we fed our mares, they started inching closer- trying to sneak a bite or two of hay. Wynter and Dakota spent the evening driving them off.  Easy-going Journey never budged from her dinner. I sincerely don't think she'd have minded sharing.
This morning, the "twins" were back- a matched pair of spike bulls.
Bruce says they probably are not really twins. Elk usually do not have twins, and twin bulls would be even more rare. They're probably just best friends. They seem to always be together.
They are smaller spikes. Bruce says three things go into large antlers- nutrition, age and genetics. These guys are healthy enough- they just may not have the genetics to ever grow monster antlers.  All the better for them! :)
They are only 18 mos. old.

Watching all these elk come wandering out of the woods, I can't help but keep looking...
hoping...

Bruce says there's no reason in the world for a big, 6 point plus bull elk to come down into the valley.
And he laughs every time I whisper that just MAYBE that elk would come down to see me!
After all- there was no reason for him to come last year, either! and yet, he did.

And so, I keep vigil.  I keep scanning the meadow, the woods, the pasture.  I keep hoping that just MAYBE, Raggie will come visit. Just for a little bit.

I can assure you. I'll be waiting for him.


4 comments:

  1. Great pics Mere, I know you & Bruce are so happy seeing and doing what you both enjoy.
    Thanks for posting.
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure he will come back too. He knows where he feels safe and will be protected. I wish I had seen them when I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he did not catch some hunter's eye....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos. The last one in particular with the dark green of the trees contrasting with the white snow.

    ReplyDelete