Sunday, July 25, 2010

Boating- just the two of us

It was brutally hot (our thermometer read 106! but that WAS with the sun shining on it). And, as Bruce and I tend to agree that the ONLY place to weather heat like that is on the water, we packed up all our boating gear, and put the Glastron in the river. 
In the days when our kids were living at home, we would spend ALL day on the boat, and STILL not get enough.  I would bake healthy treats for snacks, and raid the garden for pea pods, kohlrabi, etc. Bruce would run to the store and buy grapes, and plums, and nectarines as well as some pop, and wine coolers. We would ski, tube, knee board, wake board and swim- everyone taking turns. Summers were full of sun screen, sand, swimsuits and towels hung outside to dry, laughter and love. So, you can imagine the difference yesterday...
Bruce dove in the water to cool off... that's par for the course... and then, we went on a short boat ride. I told Bruce I'd pull him skiing, and he jumped at the chance. (No photos, cus I was the only one in the boat, and I had to watch where I was going, while watching how he was doing... I couldn't figure out how to fit picture taking into the mix).
He had a great pull, but even so, it didn't last very long. 
One more short swim, and then, we sort of sat in the boat... looking at each other... wondering what else to do.  We reminisced about times past- and how different this entire Summer was, without any children living at home.  And then, we drove home.  It's an adjustment, I guess.  At least we have all three kids coming home in 2 wks! and things will be back to normal for a short time.  And that short time will just have to last us for another year.

2 comments:

  1. Bruce looks so cool (literally!) It makes me want to dive right in! Enjoy those special moments between you two without the kids. You will begin to cherish them again... C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water looks so inviting. I know you will love having all 3 kids home and want to spend as much time as you can with them. :)

    ReplyDelete