Tuesday, July 20, 2010

the gazebo

Because the bees and flies are SO bad during July and August in Montana, Bruce and I decided we needed to have a screened in porch added to the house.  HOWEVER, once we contacted the contractor, and he told us everything involved (taking off part of the roof, etc) we decided that wasn't a prudent way to go. Luckily for us, we have the best contractor in the world... :)  and he gave us a GREAT idea!  Just build a screened in gazebo! 

Cade drew up my plans on his computer so I could visualize it.  We bought the materials, called the contractor, and TODAY they started building! YAY!






They arrived around 8:30 this morning, and were still at work at 6:30 pm.  They didn't finish- they still have some of the shingles to put on the roof, and the stone wall to build, and the arbor to construct- BUT they got it far enough along so we can use it, until they can get back here to work. 
TA DA!!!
We were so excited, we had our very first dinner in our new gazebo! (Ok... not MUCH of a dinner, but HEY! we had a hard day! We were exhausted!)
We even brought India out, and he was VERY appreciative. He can't get out of the gazebo, but he THINKS he's outside!
It fits our table and chairs easily... with PLENTY of excess room. It's a bit like being in a playhouse.  An adult playhouse :)  We can eat dinners out there... sit outside when it's raining... read a book, play a game, even sleep on a cot! We're SO excited about this! 
I hope it's completely finished before the kids come home to visit.

4 comments:

  1. It is great!! It didn't even look like it is screened in. I know it will get used a lot and I'm sure it may be nice and cool on those hot days, giving some shade to sit in. I think India will want to spend a lot more time there as well. hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful!!! And what a perfect place for a kitty to lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! Now India has a new playhouse!! You will get so much use out of it. That's why I built 2 porches on my house, to have outdoor space 365 days a year! I may end up screening my back porch in in the future, but will see how bad the flies are first.. C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way it sits by the house. It looks like it belongs there and has always been there. It is so great! I love your description of the storm too. Isn't it funny that mom hated storms, but because of the way she treated them when we were little, we all love them -- the coziness of being safe and warm and with loved ones while nature bluffs & rages beautifully outside.

    ReplyDelete