Sunday, July 18, 2010

Evening Canoe Ride

Our family left this morning, and so Bruce thought an evening canoe ride would perk me up. (I am missing my sister, Sherry, my niece, Natalie, my chore helper, LJ, and my little "eat-eat" girl, Lani. :(
We put the canoe in at Vermillion Bay- the air was warm, the water smooth as glass. There was a family fishing off the shoreline with a little girl who'd just caught a HUGE Whitefish, and was so excited, she was telling everyone (in other words, Bruce and me) how great a fisherwoman she was. :)
The day HAD been hot... as evidence this immature Bald eagle- spreading his wings, mouth open, trying to cool himself down. 
Poor guy... he looked, decidedly, uncomfortable.
Mama (or Dad?) perched on a tree across the bay, kept cool in the shade. Guess children of all species have to learn some things by themselves. :)
We startled some Merganser ducks.
Although, they didn't swim very far, or very fast.
We followed this Kingfisher for awhile (until, with a flick and a flutter he let us know he was just playing with us)...
and caught a glimpse of some turkeys coming down to the water for a drink, before roosting in the trees for the night.
Under the bridge, we saw cliff swallows flitting, and diving this way and that.
We, soon, found out why.  There were nests built under every section of the bridge.
With night falling fast, it was time to come in, but not before we promised ourselves to venture out on the water again SOON!  Bruce's plan worked- the peace of this area helps heal the heart.

1 comment:

  1. These are very beautiful. The water is so calm and peaceful. I know you miss everyone. I hope they are able to get back soon. ( slides my veggies over to Lani. hehehehe)

    ReplyDelete