Monday, July 26, 2010

Friends across time

There is a corner of the large pasture that seems to upset both Wynter and Journey.  Wyn always prances around that corner, snorts, ears back, head up... Journey, calm, steady, Journey shied the first time I rode there, and bolted the second. I never see anything there, I never hear anything.  (and, to be fair, Bruce and I have seen both Wynter and Journey grazing in that corner from time to time... so whatever is there, isn't ALWAYS there).

BUT today.... I saw Dakota, actually highstep over TO the corner... tail high, neck arched. She reached the fence, and stretched her neck over as if reaching out to something or someone.  Sometimes she'd shake her head up and down, sometimes she just stood there, companionably, totally at ease.  It suddenly struck me (and many of you will laugh at this- not believe this- whatever. Go ahead. That's fine with me).  That corner is the closest you can get to where we left Koosa when she died.  Koosa... Dakota's best friend, and the horse that neither Wynter, or Journey had ever met.

It's true that I would very much like to think that Koosa's spirit is running around the far meadow, feeling frisky and free, and that occasionally, she stops to chat with her old best friend. It's as good an explanation as any other we have.

4 comments:

  1. of course she's there. (: Tell Kota to tell her hi from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat story! Animals see things we cannot and I have no doubt that is what they are seeing. I am glad it gives Dakota some comfort to see her old friend from time to time. C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Koosa's spirit is there and Dakota, Wynter and Journey sense her. I'm sure that when Dakota was leaning over the fence, she was talking to her old friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. *tear* That is beautiful. I love this entry.

    ReplyDelete